India Captain MS Dhoni has highlighted the importance of tour matches and hopes India supporters will come out in force at The 3aaa County Ground this week.
The touring India Test side arrived in England earlier this week ahead of the Test warm-up match against Derbyshire; starting on Tuesday 1 July at 11am.
Dhoni, who last toured England with India in 2011, says he is looking forward to the three-day fixture and believes it will be the ideal preparation as his side prepare for the five Test series against Alastair Cook’s men.
“All over England we have lots of support,” Dhoni said. “Just look at the Champions Trophy when we played in the final, I think we had more support than the English team.
“I don’t think we are short of fans in England and we hope plenty come out to support the side.
MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli and Ravindra Jadeja are set to spearhead a star-studded international line-up for this week’s Test warm-up match versus India at The 3aaa County Ground; starting Tuesday 1 July.
World Cup winning Captain, Dhoni, will lead the India Test side out at Derby next week as they go head-to-head with Wayne Madsen’s Derbyshire side, likely to include Australia international batsman Marcus North and world number three Test batsman Shivnarine Chanderpaul.
The India side will include some of the biggest names in world cricket, including Dhoni, all-rounder Ravindra Jadeja and Test veteran Gautam Gambhir.
India’s middle-order will be led by explosive batsman Virat Kohli, who is enjoying a rich vein of form. The 25-year-old has already scored 1,721 runs in his short Test career, including six hundreds and a top score of 119.
He is, however, a vastly experienced one day player, featuring in 134 ODIs and scoring 5,634 runs at a strike-rate of just shy of 90. His top score, 183 versus Pakistan in 2012, is the 14th highest individual score in ODI history, coming off just 148 balls (22 fours, 1 six).
Phil Mustard’s 24-ball half-century and four wickets for John Hastings guided Durham Jets to an eight-wicket win in the NatWest T20 Blast fixture at Emirates Durham ICG.
Alex Hughes hit a career-best unbeaten 43 to help the visitors recover from 83-8 to 125 all out. But the Falcons’ total was always below par, especially when Mustard smashed 11 fours and one six in his match-winning 54.
Chesney Hughes hit 30 off just 16 balls (4 fours, 1 six) get his side off to a solid start, onto 47-2 in the sixth over. But when the powerful opener fell to pick of the bowlers Hastings, Derbyshire lost six wickets for 36 runs to slip to 83-8 in the 14th over.
Australia international Hastings returned career-best figures of 4-26 off four overs, while Paul Collingwood, who also took three catches, finished with 2-17 from his four overs to rip through the Falcons’ middle-order on a pitch that seamed and moved around.
Alex Hughes, however, produced a controlled innings to compile his highest score in Twenty20 cricket to help his side up and over three figures. The 22-year-old hit two fours and one six to end the innings unbeaten on 43 off 36 balls.
Graeme Welch has named an unchanged squad to face Durham Jets in NatWest T20 Blast at Emirates Durham ICG tomorrow; 2.30pm start.
Derbyshire Falcons enter the fixture off the back of a record-breaking victory against Birmingham Bears at The 3aaa County Ground.
A brutal 21-ball half-century from Wes Durston (53), 42 off 27 balls from Wayne Madsen and Alex Hughes’ 24 off 10 balls helped the Falcons chase down 190, the county’s highest ever successful run chase in Twenty20 cricket.
The fixture against the Jets at Chester-le-Street is the two sides’ only clash this season.
Durham boast an experienced line-up featuring England powerful all-rounder Ben Stokes, former England Twenty20 Captain Paul Collingwood and Australia international John Hastings.
Graeme Welch says last night’s thrilling NatWest T20 Blast victory over Birmingham Bears was a complete team performance and just what the squad deserved.
Wes Durston (53) hit a 21-ball half-century and Captain Wayne Madsen struck 42 off 27 balls as Derbyshire chased down a record-breaking 190 to seal victory at The 3aaa County Ground.
It was Derbyshire’s highest ever successful run-chase in Twenty20 cricket.
Welch was delighted to finally notch up the county’s first NatWest T20 Blast win of the campaign and hopes the squad can now build on the exceptional team performance against the Bears.
“It was a great team performance and the lads played very well,” Elite Performance Director Welch said.
A brutal 21-ball half-century from Wes Durston helped Derbyshire chase down 190 with an over to spare to beat Birmingham Bears by three wickets at The 3aaa County Ground.
Opener Durston hit five fours and two sixes to top-score with 53, while Wayne Madsen added 42 and Alex Hughes hit 24 off 10 balls to seal the Falcons’ first NatWest T20 Blast victory of the season.
William Porterfield set the tone for the Birmingham innings, smashing seven fours and three sixes in his 74 off just 41 balls, as the visitors got off to a flyer, moving to 102-0 in the 10th over.
Varun Chopra was the first man out for 35, to that man Durston (1-23), but Jonathan Webb took over the mantle adding 50 off 33 balls (4 fours, 2 sixes). But Webb fell to one of three run outs in a final over that only went for four runs, as the Bears closed their 20 overs on 189-5.
Derbyshire batsman Stephen Moore has informed the Club of his decision to retire from cricket with immediate effect.
The 31-year-old has sited employment opportunities and family commitments as reasons for calling time on his career.
Moore said: “I would like to thank Derbyshire for the opportunity they provided for me, but the time is right for me to step down, focus on my career away from the game, and spend more time with my family.
“I wish everyone at the club all the success they strive for, as they endeavour to create the best environment to help players reach their potential and become future England stars.
“I can't speak highly enough of Derbyshire for the way they have handled my decision to retire, and for the warmth of my welcome and subsequent support for my family and I during my short stay at the club.
Richard Johnson has been released from his contract at his own request.
The 25-year-old wicketkeeper signed for Derbyshire on a permanent deal ahead of the 2013 season.
He has played 18 first-class matches, averaging 21.64 with a highest score of 72, as well as a further 17 appearances in Limited Overs formats.
Johnson took timeout from the game earlier in the season and - having successfully applied to commence a degree course at university - has decided that a release from his full-time professional contract would enable him to focus on his forthcoming studies.
Johnson has been easing himself back into cricket playing for Knowle & Dorridge Cricket Club in the Birmingham & District Premier Cricket League.
Derbyshire County Cricket Club has confirmed that after an extended period of absence, Peter Burgoyne's contract has been cancelled by mutual consent.
The 20-year-old Academy graduate signed his first professional contract in 2012, going on to play five first-class and 13 limited-overs matches for the county.
Recently, in a move supported by the Club and the Professional Cricketers' Association (PCA), Peter announced that he was taking a break from professional cricket for stress-related issues.
Burgoyne said: "I am grateful to the Club for the support provided to me throughout my career with Derbyshire and I wish the management team and players every success in the future.
"It's been a tough few months and a tough decision but I am really looking forward to playing club cricket again for a few months before making a decision about my future.
© 2014 Derbyshire County Cricket Club
The 3aaa County Ground, Grandstand Road, Derby DE21 6AF. Tel: 01332 388 101
Website design by: www.thisismedia.co.uk